Long or short, fire safe hallways keep your family moving while stopping fire danger.
- Don’t use extension cords that are frayed or wrapped in a coil, and don’t run cords under rugs.
- Install ceiling-mounted smoke and carbon monoxide alarms that are at least four inches away from the walls on every level of your home.
- Ensure smoke alarms are UL listed (www.ul.com).
- Test your smoke alarms once a month.
- Wall-mounted smoke alarms should be installed four to 12 inches away from the ceiling.
- Don’t install smoke alarms near windows, doors or ducts.
- Vacuum your smoke alarms every six months.
- Change your smoke alarm batteries at twice per year. Make sure batteries are always in smoke alarms.