Home Fire Safety Tips
Living by these fire smart reminders makes your living room a safer room.
- Make sure the fireplace flue damper opens and closes fully.
- Hire a professional to clean the chimney and inspect the firebox once per year.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and replace batteries every six months.
- Schedule a yearly fireplace inspection and cleaning by a certified company to make sure no debris is blocking the chimney.
- Space heaters aren’t designed to operate for long periods. Always turn them off when you leave the room.
- Power strips are great at protect against power surges, but when overloaded, power strips can cause electrical fires.
- If a family member has hearing difficulties, install a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm with strobe features.
- Open the flue or damper before starting a fire in your fireplace, every time.
- Keep all flammables at least three feet away from the fireplace.
- Place a sturdy fireplace screen in front of the fireplace.
- Keep candles and lamps at least one foot away from your curtains.
- Have an electrician inspect and tighten any loose electrical connections at least once a year.
- Use safety caps to cover all unused electrical outlets.
- Use large, deep ashtrays. Never leave a burning cigarette unattended